Carys Weldon Blog

Sunday, June 03, 2007

Hungry? Making Homemade Bread at 10:19 pm

What will you make us for dinner? (daughter)

What do you want? (me)

What can you think of? (daughter)

I dunno. You're the one that's hungry. What do you want? (me)

Silence. (daughter again) Something good.

Okay. How about some homemade pizza or bread? (me)

Do you have corn meal? (my son chimes in) I really like it when it has corn meal on the bottom.

(me) Bread or pizza?

Both. (him again)

Bread. (her)

So, um, that was around 9 o'clock. See what a bad mom I am? Didn't think to fix dinner because I wasn't hungry. How, in hell, do I stay so big?

Doesn't matter, I guess. I'm fixing bread. I just put it in the oven. Maybe it's the eating after ten? The eating of BREAD after ten?

I used to make homemade bread and pizza all the time. Since my husband heard they'd voted for bread instead of pizza, he went and got some pepperoni and cheese to snack on. He's italian. It's a staple (snack, meal, whatever) at our house.

I looked through the fridge. Eggs are outdated. Not much in there now besides the p and c I mentioned, and condiments. Got a lot of those, though. You could make a meal of salad dressing if you were really hungry, I guess.

Checking the cabinets, I see soup, canned tamales and chile, and pudding and brownie mixes. Some corn and beans. HM. SOMEBODY has been traveling too much to buy groceries, I guess. Probably should consider doing that tomorrow.

Definitely gotta buy salad and pizza rolls. The kids are addicted to those. Potatoes and onions for the husband, who likes them fried.

Milk for the cereal eating kid. Bread. Eggs that aren't outdated. And juice.

Okay, now why the heck is she giving us a grocery list?
I'll tell you why. The girl is totally stuck in her ways.
Could you cough up some of your favorite recipes, meal ideas, please? If all the lurkers and posters here could come up with at least ONE thing, my family might get out of its rut and I'd get back into the swing of cooking. NO seafood recipes though. I'm afraid the masses aren't in favor of those. Hubby doesn't like chicken but the kids and I do, and he's gone all day, so we need lunch ideas. Got any?

Labels: , ,


Posted by CarysWeldonblog :: 8:20 PM :: 2 Comments:

Post a Comment

2 Comments:

I've got a couple chicken recipes, but one makes A LOT. And it's easy. One is a one-pot deal, the other... not so much.

Chcken Tetrazini

Whatever kind of chicken meat you like
Spaghetti noodles (we usually use 3/4 a package)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 soup can of milk
1/2 a cube of Velveeta cheese

Boil the chicken until it's done and take it out of the water. In the same water, cook the spaghetti noodles. Add the soups and the milk, stir well. Add the cheese in (cut up in pieces so it'll melt quicker). Tear the chicken in pieces and add back to the pot. Stir it so the chicken's mixed in well. Once the cheese is melted, it's done.

-----

Chicken South of the Border

Chicken
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 soup can of milk
2 Tbsp salsa (or more, however you like it)
Tortilla chips
Velveeta cheese

Again, boil the chicken until it's done. (I never know how long.) In a casserole dish/cake pan, crumble tortilla chips in the bottom. (Don't use any oil or cooking spray in the pan.) Mix the soups, milk, and salsa together. WHen the chicken's done (and cool enough to handle), tear it apart and scatter it generously over the chips. Pour the soup/salsa mixture over the chips and chicken. Scatter pieces of cheese generously over the top. Bake it at about 350d. When the cheese is melted and bubbly, it's done. (Usually about 10-ish minutes).

By Blogger Unknown, at 7:11 AM  

My family eats a fairly meat-and-potatoes style diet (with lots of salad too), so I'm not sure if I have many interesting ideas. If I think of anything, I'll come back and post it.

By Blogger ikkinlala, at 12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------