Carys Weldon Blog

Sunday, July 16, 2006

A good week

This week was a very good writing week for me. I have over 300 pages--from Monday. However, I've cut about thirty of those out and put them in a junk file--because I think that they're too much for the manuscript (ms). I got off on a tangent that just isn't gonna work. (I know. I should've noticed that BEFORE I had that many pages written.)

The thing is...for you aspiring writers out there...if you sit down and let the story come, it will flow as fast as you can type it out. If it's coming slow for you, then maybe you need to look at the pacing, or how heavy the dialogue is. Don't sweat over every word the first time through. You can always go back and look at it and fill in more description here and there, or add dialogue if a page gets to be too much action or description, and edit. Heavens, you're probably going to go over it a million times anyway. Enjoy the book the first time through, just wing and zing as the characters come alive.

(Yes. That's how I write, so if you think...wow...that was...unpredictable...it was probably a surprise to me too!) I like my characters to breathe, and to panic, and to think, "Oh, God. What am I gonna do now?"

Anyhow, the ms isn't finished, but I'm at the point where I have so many things in the book/plotwise that I have to start winding down. Which is always about the time I actually lose interest. I already know where it's gonna go...so what's the point in going there?

Some things are required in all books. A wrap-up of some kind is one of them. Do you like abrupt endings that shock you, or things that you can ride out on a floaty cloud. Do you like epilogues?

What was my most common thought this week as I was writing this um interesting piece of twists and turns? I wonder...where will I sell a g-rated romance?

Did you blink? Maybe blink twice?

Or think...what in hell is she doing wasting her time writing a g-rated romance?
Or think...hm, I'd like to see what in hell she'd put in a g-rated romance?

Is hell a cuss word? Did I start my Sunday off with swearing?
(See how my day is gonna go?) ;)

And one last burning (in hell?) thought... I wanna know where in hell Pack Taboo is. That thing has been slated for release forever. And Pack Attack is done too. So, you werewolf fans, hang on. They gotta be coming soon.

Posted by CarysWeldonblog :: 6:32 AM :: 1 Comments:

Post a Comment

1 Comments:

Send it off to Harlequin or Silhouette. They have sweet romance categories and it sounds like the page count will be just about right.

By Blogger Rinda Elliott, at 7:02 AM  

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------