Carys Weldon Blog

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Health

I know I promised you an excerpt but I've had some other NEWS. So, the excerpt will have to wait.

Yesterday, I went to the doctor. Maybe the hundredth doctor in fifteen years. I have a ton of symptoms that haven't changed. Turns out, this doctor had an epiphony and realized that all my symptoms match the ones listed on the fibromyalgia flyer.

So, finally, I have been diagnosed. Sounds good, doesn't it?

Except fibromyalgia is really a term they apply to people with all my symptoms. They haven't actually learned what causes it, what heals it or even how to test for it. But, being diagnosed means I can get muscle relaxers without hassle now.

Symptoms mimic chronic fatigue syndrome--except are worse. Severe body aches and muscle spasms (mostly random), tired, not sleeping well, pinpoint areas where pain and discomfort shoots, ibs, bladder problems...the list goes on but those are the main problems. The real clencher is the tight areas that have spasms. Out of 18, I have them all. It only takes 11 to qualify.

So, the brochure reads like they're describing me. I'm sure he's right.
At least all my whining is not for naught. Finally, it is validated.

Not that they can cure me. But, hell, I can get on methadone if I want.
Sometimes that sounds really good. Ya know?

I just wanna ozone a little and forget their are bills in the world.
Ever feel like that?

Posted by CarysWeldonblog :: 7:13 AM :: 4 Comments:

Post a Comment

4 Comments:

fibromyalgia: my girl friend has been diagnosed with this. She is soooo tired and has no energy(always telling me this). I haven't seen her in years but I can imagine what it must be like and she keeps saying 'you have fibromyalgia'(I've never asked my doctor).

By Blogger robynl, at 9:08 AM  

Check out the symptoms, Robin. They now believe that 2% of the population has it.

*fatigue (also Chronic Fatigue syndrome)
*sensitivity to pain (muscles, tendons, etc)
*headaches
*depression
*urinary and pelvic problems
*anxiety
*memory loss
*ibs symptoms
*trouble sleeping
*morning stiffness
*pain/spasms in up to 18 specific spots. (Chart on any fibromyalgia website or brochure.)
*TJD (jaw problems)
*chest symptoms
*nausea
*dizziness
*cold/achy flu symptoms
*light sensitivity
*skin/rash problems
*muscle twitches
*abdominal, pelvic and menstrual pain

And I have pretty much everything on the list. It's crazy that it's taken fifteen years and SO MANY doctors for one to say, "Hey. I think this is it."

An orthopaedic doctor at that.
Kyle Smith, in Springfield, Missouri. Smartest doctor I've been to in ten years (or more.)
In case anyone around here needs to be diagnosed properly. Took him three visits to figure it out. I am wholly impressed.

By Blogger CarysWeldonblog, at 9:34 AM  

Hair loss can be part of it too. It's not near as common as the rest of it, though.

Apparently enough people apply for disability benefits with fibromyalgia as their chief complaint that Social Security has now started including a fibromyalgia tender/trigger point diagram with all their paperwork.

On one hand, I'm sorry you've got it, but at the same time I'm glad you've got at least a partial answer.

One reason why other docs may not have diagnosed it is because a lot of them -- A LOT of them -- don't believe it's an actual condition. They don't quite think it's all in the patient's head, but they think they're dealing with separate issues. Well, that may be, but even with diabetes, you have separate issues that are all related to that one specific condition. Why do they not have the same attitude in relation to fibromyalgia?

(Oops. Didn't mean to go on so long.)

By Blogger Unknown, at 3:09 PM  

Wow! I'm sorry to hear that, but that's what might be wrong with me too. I get to sleep in on the weekends sometimes, but I'm tired and groggy every morning no matter what. I was just saying a few minutes ago I don't know why I'm so tired and groggy (but really - it's everyday). I don't sleep well, etc., etc.

I might bring fibromyalgia up at my next doctor's visit, but he'll probably treat it just like my diabetes questions. I'm at very high risk for diabetes and I ask him about it at every visit, but all he ever says is that my lab results look okay. If I ever do get diabetes I'm going to be very angry with my doctor!!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:23 AM  

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------