Carys Weldon Blog

Saturday, August 19, 2006

Plaster

Today, I'll be at the Plaster Auditorium in the College of the Ozarks, gathering together with writers from Missouri, Arkansas, Texas, and Oklahoma. I do this quarterly. The group is called Ozark Writers League (OWL).

Most of those folks look down their nose at what I write. It's sort of funny, the snobbery I find amongst writers. The first book I wrote was classic historical literature. You wouldn't think anyone would look down their nose at that, would you? But they did. They don't like my publisher on that one.

So, I branched out, and started writing all sorts of things. I've won too many awards now (over ninety in three years) and I'm making steady paychecks from my writing, so that's making it hard for the snobs to say much.

One of the hardest things in the world for me is understanding why other people like to put people down. I'm sure it's because they feel bigger when they do it, but in my eyes, it just makes the belittler smaller.

My message for today, I guess, is...go, my friend, and judge not. Lift those around you up by being genuinely pleased in their successes. By edifying others, we rise to a higher spiritual path.

(Look at that. It ain't even Sunday, and I'm preachin' again. Sorry. ;) )

Have a great day. Help the people around you have a nice one, too. K?

Love ya,
Carys

Posted by CarysWeldonblog :: 6:22 AM :: 1 Comments:

Post a Comment

1 Comments:

I have to agree with you!

I haven't been to my own writers' group meetings for about 2 months due to work-related stuff and I'm practically jonesing for some real writerly contact. *s*

Made my reservation at Inn of the Ozarks yesterday. Now if October will get here. :)

By Blogger Unknown, at 11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------