Carys Weldon Blog

Saturday, September 02, 2006

Got any advice on this one?

I need some advice on how to deal with this...

My daughter Cheyenne is the only senior on her volleyball team. (She's the one that was in the terrible accident last fall and almost died repeatedly--the one who has worked her ass off to recover, get into shape, and be released for FULL contact sport.)

She's the only player who hasn't played in any of the four games they played this week. Her coach won't look her in the eye and had her playing with/warming up with the jv team yesterday. At first, we thought she was a practice short to play in league. But no. She made up all her missed practices. (They started practicing while we were in New Mexico. If they posted a practice schedule at the end of school, we would have known to be back by then.)

I gotta ask...what kind of bullshit is this? Cheyenne really deserves to play as a starter on her team this year. She's been a starter EVERY year of high school. She's paid her dues.

This new coach came in, and what? Cheats her?

Cheyenne literally fought death repeatedly and recovered and pushed herself until she was cleared completely for full contact sports. She played high school softball last spring, and a summer league. So, she IS in shape.

She is an over achiever. She gets good grades, and excels at everything. She is a leader among students. She doesn't drink, do drugs, smoke, or swear.

What more can she do to be a role model and to earn that spot? As the only senior, and one having paid all those dues and done all that, she deserves not only to be a starter, but to be the team captain.

What do you think I should do? Besides run over the coach with my Impala, which, I admit, was my first impulse.

She's a skinny little blonde, she'd fit under the bumper. My husband has a rule, if it fits under the bumper, don't slow down. What do you think?

Okay, just as a disclaimer...I have no intention of running ANYONE over. If the girl DOES get hit by a car--I swear, it wasn't me. Somebody please delete this post if I go to trial!

Posted by CarysWeldonblog :: 9:16 AM :: 4 Comments:

Post a Comment

4 Comments:

I don't have any advice, but I agree that that's awful. Is the coach a teacher, or someone else from the community? It sounds like she may be jealous of your daughter.

By Blogger ikkinlala, at 10:04 AM  

The coach is brand new to our school. She's young. We don't know where she came from. I'm thinking she's looking ahead to next year, when all those juniors will be seniors. Hoping for a champion team in the future.

By Blogger CarysWeldonblog, at 10:15 AM  

Carys,
I would be as upset and angry as you. First, it would be a very difficult thing to watch your child go through so much to recover; only to see her then emotionally hurt by someone who should only be an encouraging and positive role model for her. I would want to go up to the coach and totally blast her, but that may not be the best approach. Then, I would wonder if this is something that I should handle for my daughter or something that she should handle on her own. I would want to smooth the way for her after her ordeal, but would this help or only make things worse....all the while secretly wanting to beat the crap out of the coach. Has your daughter talked to the coach herself? Maybe she should talk to the coach and mention her devotion to returning to the game and ask why she isn't able to start in her last year. Who knows what the right answer is...I hope it all works out for you both.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:20 AM  

If you're right that the coach is looking ahead, maybe your daughter could try pointing out how her leadership skills could benefit the other players.

By Blogger ikkinlala, at 4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------