Carys Weldon Blog

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Phobias

Ever seen this?
http://phobialist.com/

This morning, in email with a couple folks that own publishing houses (Stef Kelsey and Terri Pray, and Brenna Lyons, president of Epicon) I was joking about needing a make-over...desperately.

Someone suggested we call those folks from that show...oh, what is it called now? The one with the tall, skinny, long dark haired chick that's mean? She and the gay guy go to your house, mock you and your wardrobe, and then make you over with a ridiculously expensive credit card--and force you to buy jeans that are $150-300, and get a hair cut up to your ears. What IS that called?

(Checking back in my brain and emails.)

Oh yeah. What NOT to wear.

Anyhow, it was mentioned that the one thing they do consistently is have haircuts we usually hate. The lady goes in with long hair and comes out with a man cut. I just couldn't do that.

What's that got to do with phobias, you ask?

Well, it occurred to me that I may be avoiding stuff like that (makeovers and haircuts) because my mother wears hers short (and permed) and I have a phobia of looking more like my mother as I get older.

Don't get me wrong. Many people have thought she was attractive all her life. And I DO look a lot like her.

But...she has an old lady hair cut. I don't wanna look like that, ever.

So, I went in search of the term for "being afraid of looking like my mother." I can't find it on the list. I did find a fear of step-mother, and fear of mother-in-law, which I have both.


(We're talking battle axes here.)
Don't even get me started on that! LOL

Anyhow...does anybody know what it's called when you have a fear of looking like your mother? There has to be a name for it.

Posted by CarysWeldonblog :: 7:51 AM :: 4 Comments:

Post a Comment

4 Comments:

Mom-a-phobia? ;)

I really have no clue.

I look A LOT like my mom. We get mistaken for sisters way too often for my taste.

Sometimes on What Not to Wear, the haircuts do turn out bad, but most of the time -- IMO -- they look better than before. What gets me is when this sexy guy comes in with longish hair. All he needs, really, is to dress better. And they CHOP HIS HAIR OFF! Man, that just about makes me wanna cry!

(Heh. I guess that says something about me, dunnit? lol)

By Blogger Unknown, at 9:28 AM  

Man I would to have that much money to shop but can't see spending that much on one outfit.

By Blogger Pamk, at 5:09 PM  

I have no idea what that fear is called, but I'll let you know if I happen to run across it (somehow that seems unlikely).

By Blogger ikkinlala, at 11:16 PM  

Well I know I don't want to wear my hair like my mother yet (permed and short) because it would mean I've reached some ripe old age.

By Blogger J, at 4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------