Carys Weldon Blog

Sunday, November 05, 2006

Somewhere in AZ

I'm on my way home and at a Days Inn somewhere in AZ--Winslow, I think. I'll probably be at the old homestead on Monday evening or Tuesday afternoon. Need to be back by Tuesday so I can vote.

Missouri (where I live) is a swing state--so I really feel like my little effort to put my two cents in may be worth something. Especially with how tight elections have been in the last couple go-rounds.

For those of you who are not Missouri savvy--this is the only state (as far as I know) that actually voted a dead man into office. Then the governor gave the position to the man's wife so she could have lifetime benefits. She sat in the office for six months--enough to qualify for the retirement, etc. and then stepped down.

Have you ever heard of anything like that?

I don't wanna get deep into politics here but I have to comment on the race in MA. Have you watched the news on that? There's a chick named Healey running against a man who is a supporter of Dukakis--you kbnow--the guy who gives prisoners PRISON PASSES and one rapist got out and did his thing while on his get out of jail free card...anyhow, the news showed Healey's opponent being CHEERED by inmates.

His campaign ads were showing that--as if that would sway the public to vote for him. I was frankly horrified. Rapists and murderers feel like this man is on their side. That just seems scary to me...and worse...the guy is gaining in the polls. (All the inmates relatives voting for him maybe?)

My point to bring up politics isn't to tell you who to vote for--but to encourage you to vote.

I'm one of those people who believe one person can make a difference. Candy Lightner started MADD. That other guy (crap, can't remember his name) got missing kids put on milk cartons across the country...

I think I've said this before...one of my favorite quotes is from 15th century philosopher Edmund Burke who said (and I paraphrase) "All evil needs to succeed is for good men to do nothing."

Men. Women. We need to stand up for what we believe in. We need to make ourselves heard. Mabye if more of us stood up for good, the bad wouldn't seem so overwhelming.

Just in...Saddam Husein's been sentenced to death by hanging. How do you feel about that?

Posted by CarysWeldonblog :: 8:16 AM :: 3 Comments:

Post a Comment

3 Comments:

Re: Saddam - Personally, I think his sentencing is a good thing. I fail to see how in the WORLD Bush thinks he can take credit for it, though. And I don't see how it can effect the election like some are claiming it can/will.

By Blogger Unknown, at 8:30 AM  

BTW...

We (Mom & I) drove through your town sometime Saturday afternoon. We took my Granny to see her brother in Sullivan.

By Blogger Unknown, at 11:57 AM  

I have mixed feelings about Saddam's sentence. On one hand, it just makes him a martyr in the eyes of his followers, and it might have been better to lock him away somewhere until he died on his own. On the other, this way there's no chance of escape.

By Blogger ikkinlala, at 1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------