Carys Weldon Blog

Sunday, December 03, 2006

Witchcraft questions

(not preachy or depressing, btw)

I was raised in a Christian home. There were a lot of things that my mom said "Just stay away from" including tarot cards, witches, the pentagram...and a long list of other things that included just about every other church that we didn't go to.

As an adult, my spiritual path has taken me past her ingrained fear of all those things. I am open to asking questions, and trying to understand all the things she wasn't will to even hear about.

I've found that I'm drawn more to spiritual individuals than religious people. I prefer the soft whisper of the spirit to the haranguing tones of a fanatic preacher.

For example, I was raised where all liquor was taboo. As an adult, I've been able to reason out that a drink here and there is not a sin. After all, Jesus drank wine every day. (Some say it was really just grape juice. Who cares?)

Anyhow, my mother told me to avoid witches and those who would practice "priestcraft or witchcraft" at all costs. And then I met a few witches...and wiccans.

And I will say, I've seen more than I want of those who like to wicked things and stir the pot. (Ha! A place where that metaphor really is appropo!)

But I've met many a psychic or intuitive that is interested in only that which comes from good and begets good, that which is of the white light (as opposed to the darkness).

So, my question to you readers is...how do you feel about witchcraft?

I find I am drawn to shows like Charmed and Psyche, and I enjoy Haunted Places.

I wonder...do you believe in spells? I noticed on ebay this week that there are haunted items for sale--things like rings that have spells cast upon them. Reading about the casters of said spells has intrigued me.

I have no desire to "do magic" of that ilk myself, but I wonder if there isn't something to it. What do you think?

Do you know anyone that has cast a spell or had a spell cast on their behalf?

Just wondering in my haunted little hollow in Missouri.

Posted by CarysWeldonblog :: 7:31 AM :: 3 Comments:

Post a Comment

3 Comments:

I don't really believe in spells and witches but I love watching tv shows or reading books about them. It's fun! I do believe that some people are psychic or intuitive and mean no harm to anyone.

By Blogger Carol M, at 1:45 PM  

I don't believe in spells, but I don't have a problem with it if other people do.

By Blogger ikkinlala, at 9:37 AM  

At risk of going on too long, here I go....

Yes, I do believe in witches and spells. Yes, I believe they can be done for good or ill. I do not consider myself a witch, though I have worked a spell to find a new job and get out of a not-so-good situation (when I lived in Dallas -- totally broke).

I don't go to church very often any more. I've been quite satisfied with my own form of worship/reverence to the Divine. I think the Divine/God/Universe/whatever you call it is in large part a creative force; when you are being creative yourself, you are honoring that and -- in a sense -- engaging in a form of worship. Of course, that is just my opinion. *s*

I went to a Souther Baptist church for a long time. When I finally figured out that yes I can think for myself, I was told repeatedly that I was going to hell for some of my ideas and questions.

Well excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me! I'll see you there, then. (No, I never said it, but it was definitely tempting.)

I think anything being sold on eBay that's "haunted" or "bespelled" is something to stay far far away from. It is quite possibly a scam, a money-laundering scheme, or just plain bad news.

Personally, I do read Tarot and do pendulum dowsing on occasion. My ideas and beliefs are similar but still quite different than a lot of people around here, so I keep them largely to myself.

By Blogger Unknown, at 6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------