Carys Weldon Blog

Monday, May 07, 2007

Into Myself? Who are you?

I received a comment from an anonymous sort--one that insulted me, and I just have to wonder why people are so mean? And uncool. (Feel free to search the archives.)

Honestly, if you have an insult for me, use your real name. Let me see who is being bitchy. Let me know who my friends are. And if you don't wanna be my friend, just go away quietly. No need to be nasty. There IS a tracking option on the world wide web, ya know. Anonymous comments are NOT anonymous, no matter how much you'd like to think they are. Site owners can see what server you come from, and therefore track you to your happy little keyboard. I don't, however, care enough about the anonymous nasty poster to give them the time of day it takes to click and look. I'd rather not know the loser by name.

For the record, I don't think the world revolves around me. My world revolves around everyone I know and I think that people who have met me know that I do my best to be generous and friendly, and to include people in any circle I stand in. I invite strangers to my table, and involve people in conversation, and make introductions like crazy. Of course, no one HAS to sit with me, or listen to my tales or take advantage of my willingness to make the intros, etc.

BUT YOU HAVE TO KNOW...I am a storyteller. That's what I do. If you come anywhere near me, you will see that I tell them all the time.

I force no one to read my stories, my blogs, or my books, or sit in my company at banquets or conferences, or even in the pew beside me at church. Except my relatives--and a few friends. And I'm not even really pushy with them over stuff like that.

Recaps:
Bon Jovi? True story. He wouldn't know me from Adam today and never got my name then. But I did ride down an elevator with him at the Hollywood Sheraton Hilton years ago. I've met a few other celebrity types, too. Those stories will probably come out sooner or later. And, in most of them, I am the girl who didn't know squat. I am the one who never reads the program at conferences, but invariably ends up in the elevator or ladies room or a tight hallway (because I'm not skinny) with someone important asking, "What do you do?" or "Who are you?"

Which means I put my foot in my mouth all the time. But I laugh it off, and try not to beat myself up over it. I make a ton of mistakes. But the one mistake I don't make is that of insulting people because I'm having a bitchy day.

Or because I want to "Just put someone in their place."

As for the comment about Mensa...DUH. My IQ is 152. What's yours? (Honestly, I don't care.) You know, I like quick witted people because they get my jokes. Especially the jokes I turn on myself or about sex. BUT I have a few very low IQ people in my life that I love to pieces. IQ isn't important to me, except that it sometimes illustrates points. I AM an idiot savant on a hundred different levels.

But, I can't quote anything correctly to save my life. So, I surround myself with some seriously great people who can pull up my favorite lines from every movie I ever thought had a good point. I am amazed by people with memories like that. I hail and bow to them. I think they are gods and goddesses. And a little freaky with their abilities in that arena.

But hey...I admire them for who they are and what they can do. I'm cool with my friends bragging. I have one, right now, that likes to talk about how Kensington is looking over her manuscripts. Now, think, my friends. K JUST rejected me. But my friends know I'm cool with someone else having success where I haven't had it.

I say, it doesn't matter who goes in the door first, as long as you hold the door for the rest of the mob. Even if, or especially if, they are your groupies, friends, or minions (as Vickey loves to refer to me, and some of her other friends.)

I know this sounds a bit like a rant--probably because it is. I am SO DISAPPOINTED in people who do things like post anonymous insults. Be a man. Or (in this case) a woman with some class.

And...let me repeat, I do not think I am all that. (A woman with class.) For God's sake, I talk about sex at fancy dinners where people where sequin gowns and tuxes and kilts and faery costumes. I am NOT putting on airs.

Where do people get airs in the first place?

Speaking of first place...I won 1st place and 2nd place this last weekend (both pay money!) in writing competitions. That puts me up over 110 writing awards in just a few short years. I am assuming the anonymous poster that flamed me with insults is a jealous writer. Not that I think anyone should be jealous of me.

I sat at a table with a lot of people who won checks and certificates, so I am, by no means, the most special girl at that banquet. One guy, Lance Hawvermale, won 8 awards. This was the group at my table: Becky Cline, Adrian Simmons, Elizabeth Easter, and Lisa Willis. Other writers who have won big awards, and multiple awards at past banquets, that were at my table Saturday: Vickey Kennedy, Dion (uh, I always forget her last name!) DION is enough because I only know one DION. Ya know? Who else sat with me Philip Martin. (Scarletta Editor who sat with US by choice...not by my coercion.) And Wayne. LOL Wayne. Wayne. Wayne. What is your last name? Wyrick? (Something like that.)

I wanna say it was great to see Jen N. and sit with her for a meal. (Regular poster here, and friend I totally enjoy.)

Ah. I have other things to write. Need to get busy. Dan Case, editor of Writing for Dollars has asked to see a manuscript of mine. Wanna take bets on my rejection or acceptance? (I'll let ya know how that goes.)

Catch ya later. Or on my other blogs. Did you check those puppies out yet?

Posted by CarysWeldonblog :: 7:18 AM :: 5 Comments:

Post a Comment

5 Comments:

I looked for you yesterday before we left. I don't know if you were gone or upstairs or what. We had to meet my parents in Seminole so I could go to a family gathering (that I slept through most of -- *cringe*) so I didn't have much time to look.

ANyway...

Congrats on your wins and it was GREAT to see you. :)

By Blogger Unknown, at 8:32 AM  

Congrats on the awards this weekend and all the others--dang! That's a list!

About the commenter--I guess that person's mother never told them that if you can't say anything nice then shut the hell up. That's ridiculous. We all talk about ourselves on our blogs. It's what blogs are for.

By the way, my IQ is 148 and I used to work at a hotel where every celebrity who came to town stayed. I have celeb stories too. Does that make me a jerk and full of myself because I had atwo minute conversation here and there with someoen famous? Of course not and it doens't make you a jerk either. They're just fun little stories to talk about.

By Blogger Glenna, at 10:49 AM  

I don't know what my Iq is, maybe 45.. I don't know..
What I do know is what a wonderful person you are and the changes you have made in my life as well as my family.. We love you... You are special and you are not full of yourself. You are always thinking of others..I thank God, he let you come into my life.

By Blogger Brenda, at 11:01 AM  

Congrats on the awards!! It was weird not being there, but it turned out to be a good thing. My sister had her baby this weekend.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:03 PM  

Congrats on the awards! Did I miss the announcement of the blog list winner?

By Blogger J, at 6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------