Carys Weldon Blog

Monday, April 10, 2006

Restless nights

I'm tired. How about you?

I put my husband on a plane to Alaska yesterday morning. We got up at 4 a.m. and drove to Kansas City. That's a 3-4 hour drive each way. Then I drove over to another town that's 45 minutes each way to do some banking. That made for a very long day.

I couldn't go to sleep until I heard that he was into his hotel, safe from flying. That was after 11 p.m. my time. Have you ever laid on your bed with the phone in hand, worrying, wondering if someone you loved is safe? Missing them already, although it had only been a few hours since you last saw him? (Or her?)

It sure seems like we spend too many lonely hours in a lifetime.

Worn out, I passed out with the phone in my hand, waking up every fifteen minutes to call the hotel--feeling stupid by the time I was on a first name basis with the hotel clerk. Ever get up to Juneau, Alaska, and see Stephanie behind the desk of the Travelodge--that's my friend.

You'd think, after hearing HIS voice, and knowing he was all right, I'd sleep well. And I did at first. But by 4 a.m. I was awake, tossing and turning. (I'd gotten up three times in the interim between 11-4--went to the bathroom, thought the cell phone was ringing, stuff like that.)

Where, oh where are the sweet, sexy dreams when you want one?

Still tired, but unable to sleep, I got up, checked my email and here I am. I have a serious plan to write this week--this month--and finish up a few projects. Mainly, my Mira Starks story needs an ending. It's so close to finishing that it isn't funny. It makes me wonder...why didn't I cap that off when I was working on it?

Here's a peek into the psyche of a writer...sometimes you have to hold up on something and let it sit for awhile so you can meditate on how to pull it all together.

Sometimes stories play out fast when I type. Portions of Mira's story did. The first couple scenes where her boss sexually harasses her, copping feels, insulting her. The beginning of this story bothers me immensely because I think it happens all too often.

And members of a writer's workshop I go to had me worried over it more. The women were all "with the story" but some of the men thought that Mira came on to her boss by being sassy (mouthing back to her boss when he was crude to her). So, I rewrote the beginning. It horrifies me to think that there are men on this planet that think a woman likes to be mauled by a creepy boss.

Anyhow, Mira's got a lot of regular problems up front. Besides sexual harrassment at work, she doesn't have much money, or friends or family around--and she's lonely. She has a lot of sleepless nights.

Enter Rick, an archangel vampire. That's right. I said archangel. Dark, sexy, and working on the good side.

But most importantly, he comes to her in her dreams and...well...suffice it to say that she's more restless with a dream lover than she ever was before.

This guy is fantastic, though, because he asks her what she wants. He's trying to please her and ends up teasing her a lot.

Doesn't that sound fun?

You see, Mira meets Rick and goes home and dreams about him. Have you ever done that? Met someone and dreamed about them, or fantasized about them later?

And then ran into them again--and got embarrassed? Or let the smoldering thoughts fan into a bigger fire the next time you lay eyes on them?

To tell you the truth, I do that sometimes with my husband. I think about things we've done, or things I want to do when we get alone next time. I blush a lot...but it doesn't stop me from thinking wicked thoughts.

Do you think that's normal or not?

Posted by CarysWeldonblog :: 4:26 AM :: 1 Comments:

Post a Comment

1 Comments:

First Carys, I remember about Mira now so no need to refer to me about that! I just have a bad time with details so I couldn't connect names. Super that its done. Is it one that too is a sensual story, or is it more like a mainstream woman's fiction book. It makes a difference I think where to submit it.
My husband works all odd hours and should finish at 5 but it can be til 9 at night til he comes home. I can be watching the lap top to see if he instant messages me but nothing...he says he gets to busy and I know he does, but inside too I used to think, couldn't he just say he was working late, then too, I thought I was being silly cuz this happens so much that its where he is. So I can feel more comfort now. I know thats different than going away for a business and wanting to make sure your husband gets there, cuz thats a one time event. Just shows how much you love and care and don't want to be apart from each other. I think too it would be the same answer to your dreams, it gives you the opportunity to put your feelings into dreams til he gets home. I think its so normal. I think its beautiful love you have.
I feel that way about my hubby too. See now i'm TMI, smile. When I was in the hospital, my husband said he had a horrible time sleeping by himself, he knew the feeling I wasn't there.
Usually I do alot of reading, when he's working late or online, so I can find those productive things to do cuz then time goes by quicker!

By Blogger Caffey, at 9:57 AM  

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------