Carys Weldon Blog

Monday, May 08, 2006

Recap of the Weekend

Sorry that I got too busy to blog over the weekend. OWFI, the writer's conference held annually in OK City, is a long, long weekend and I ran on 3-4 hours of sleep a night.

There are agent/editor appointments in the morning, and a full round of speakers, plus book signings, luncheons, banquets, and contests. I won an honorable mention in a nonfiction category. Some asked me if I was disappointed that I didn't win more. The answer is...well, sure, I wish I'd won more. But, geez, there was 480 people there (give or take) and that means a ton of professional competition. To place at all in any category is very cool.

After the banquet each night, there are buzz sessions where you can walk around and talk to tons of other writers, editors, and agents and get to know them. Some folks drink. Some folks don't.

Beer Margaritas were served liberally in one room--I wasn't brave enough to try them but some folks said they were awesome. Wine was poured freely in the Presidential Suite. I'm not into that, either. My editor got a CHALICE the size of Texas (full of beer) there.

I learned that bartenders make non-virgin Shirley Temples by adding vodka. Did you know that? You're probably all bartenders and I'm the only virgin in the crowd! LOL

I have been 86'ed from a bar before--and I was stone cold sober! My husband would have to tell you that story.

Anyhow, the weekend was long. I didn't get enough rest. I picked up a sinus cold...which sucks. But, all in all, it was fun to go and chat with other writers.

I have some friends, relatively new writers, who made contact with my editor and will probably get published by Extasy some time in the future. I'll give you a heads up on them when they get in the publishing queue, so you know what to get excited about.

I've got to get back to editing a book that is going to print real soon. (Yay!)
Talk at ya later.

Posted by CarysWeldonblog :: 7:26 AM :: 3 Comments:

Post a Comment

3 Comments:

Sound as if you enjoyed yourself.

By Blogger Estella, at 12:14 PM  

It was good to see you. Looked for you after the banquet Saturday night but the place was chaos!

Still recovering too?

I have to get up a fiction piece on my blog from a reader's winning topic challenge and I'm so hitting a blank...

Also reading your historical book. I know you said it was before you learned the rules, but lady, your raw writing talent is breathtaking.

By Blogger Rinda Elliott, at 10:00 AM  

I was in the bar area, mocking the judges comments. Five of my entries have already gone under contract. Two had won first places elsewhere. So, stupid judges who said things like..."This really should be scrapped" can kiss my...big fat toe. Ya know?

Which brings me to an admission a friend of mine made. That she got paid $250 (3 times) to let a man suck her toes.

Toe prostitution. That was a new one on me.

By Blogger CarysWeldonblog, at 7:08 AM  

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------