Carys Weldon Blog

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Writing

Candy's Kisses and Levi's Jeans is up to 70,000 words now. Do you like big books? Because I think that it's gonna be a thicker one.

And Raven's Mischief, the one I just finished and signed to Mojocastle in December, that one is 107k.

Many of the thinner romances you see are only around 50,000 words. That's my initial goal when I write for a novel. Anything after that is frosting on the cake.

I had intentions of writing more yesterday, but I have a lot of spinal problems from flipping a 1400 lb horse over on myself about ten years ago. And my chair has taken a nose dive. I am tall. I like it to sit as high as it can and it isn't. It's cranked itself down to the lowest spot it can do. I think it is my son's fault. The kid plays with the hydraulic thing, and kicks back in it, with his feet up on the desk every time I leave the room. Or, he was until it broke. Now, he's on threat of his life if he gets near it. Guess I should have threatened before then. Sigh.

My computer is at crash level, I think. Keeps locking up, needing to be hard booted. I just need it to hang on until I get this novel finished. I would be TOO annoyed if it locked up completely and I couldn't get into that file to finish and send it off.

Oh well. That's what writers worry about. Their lives crashing. ;)

Comment for other writers and Jen in particular--9000 words since last Saturday is awesome. Remember, always, that we are not in competition with each other. We work on personal best. And we can support our writing friends all the time with genuine encouragement because we are secure in the knowledge that NO ONE but you can create what you do. Even if we all took the same plot setup, our stories would be different.

So, two pages in a month, if it is really good is great. AND most importantly, if you're entertaining yourself, then it isn't wasted time. Ever! I am VERY happy for those who write, fiction, nonfiction, poetry, whatever, to post here what they're doing. Sometimes posting your plans, or goals in public (confessing?) makes you more committed. You know, if you say you're gonna do something, you're more apt to follow through with it. So, feel free.

AND FOR THOSE WHO ARE READERS with no aspirations of becoming a writer, go ahead and post your goals for how many of MY books you're gonna read this year. LOL Then I'll know how many I have to push out into the market. Maybe your goals will inspire me to write faster. Who knows?

Posted by CarysWeldonblog :: 5:28 AM :: 5 Comments:

Post a Comment

5 Comments:

Personally, as a reader, I like thicker books. There's usually more meat to the story. I like that. :)

I am ecstatic over how "Phillip's Curse" is going. As of last night, I have 10,000 words(!), 3 chapters, and the prologue done rough draft.

I've been receiving some great feedback from friends on it. You know, usually I get the equivalent of "Oh, that's nice" *pat*pat*. Not with this one. It's been more like "OHMYGOSH, WHENAREYOUGOINGTOFINISHTHISBECAUSEIWANTTOBUYITINBOOKFORM!!!" And a friend (Sharon Ervin) has threatened to chain me to the desk to finish it if I don't/can't on my own. lol.

By Blogger Unknown, at 7:25 AM  

Oh, yeah... About the computer. Are you able to do basic maintenance -- deleting temp files & cookies -- and then running scandisc & defrag? Not that it WILL definitely help, but it might.

By Blogger Unknown, at 7:27 AM  

I like longer books personally. The longer the better

By Blogger Pamk, at 6:01 PM  

I do basic maintenance all the time.
Defrag, eliminate cookies. I think I have a virus/worm or something. Can't find it, though. Probably creating a double image file that is bogging the system down. It's a hidden file, though. I've had them before.

I wish the nerds who created that sort of crap would apply themselves to something really constructive, like wiping out the credit bureau archive or something. I mean, if you're gonna crash a system, let's crash one that will make the world happier.

By Blogger CarysWeldonblog, at 7:54 AM  

Thicker books are usually my first choice. The more words the better!

By Blogger Tara W, at 12:24 PM  

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------