Carys Weldon Blog

Saturday, April 14, 2007

Prom Drama

So, um, as you know the greatest drama in my life at this time is my youngest daughter. The homecoming queen that had a stalker two months ago and was in the near death accident a year and a half ago?

Well, it isn't over yet. And I'm the fat lady that ain't singing.

I ordered her a specially made prom dress from China. It was cheaper to do that than get a ready made of the same style on a rack in the US. $400-500 versus under $200. That's a big difference if it's coming out of your pocket. And that's the price before you add shoes or hairdo or nail job, flowers, and pictures and heaven knows what else.

I spent all day yesterday in panic because the dress had not arrived. Did NOT arrive. So, we spent all day yesterday driving around, looking for a dress. First, I looked with my husband--who is the ultimate checkbook and naysayer on this. Second, we took the daughter to see the things we thought MIGHT work for her. Of course, there was nothing cheap in the country.

Here we are, the morning of the prom, and the dress is not in our hands. No dress is in our hands. I went to bed with thoughts/dreams of air brush painting or dying last year's dress and adding applique pieces from the fabric/hobby store to the bodice to add some bling and change the look. Yes, I'm getting creative. Or desperate.

The thing that annoys me most over this whole thing is...I am a GREAT seamstress. I'm just too damn lazy. I got out of the habit of sewing because the place I live now has no room to spread things out for cutting and organizing the pieces to anything that is a big project, like a fluffy prom dress. I could have saved myself a ton of money and worry and just sewn one of these up in, yes, only a few days. Instead, I've suffered weeks of "what if it doesn't get here on time" and not to mention the hours of torture yesterday where I literally rubbed blisters on my feet from walking the stupid mall more than once.

It appears the dress from China left Shanghai on Wednesday. (It was supposed to be here Tuesday.) It arrived in Chicago two days ago, got out customs yesterday before noon. As of bedtime last night, the dress was again in "who knows where limbo" but this a.m., the tracking slip says it is enroute to Springfield.

So, it will likely be in Springfield today, if it isn't here already. BUT that doesn't mean I'll see it before Monday. I am counting the seconds until the local post office opens so I can call and see if I have to go up and buy a dress today, or dye, or whatever. I know I have to buy shoes and hair pieces. But you can't buy those in advance until you know what dress you're wearing,'s gonna be a great day.

It's raining like crazy here, so you know that's gonna be a pretty thing to waltz through in a formal and stilettoes.

The hem and heels will certainly be mud-bogged. SIGH.

I'll try and post pictures or something of the final outcome.
My sense of humor is kicking in. The picture may be me at a bar. ;)

Posted by CarysWeldonblog :: 5:49 AM :: 5 Comments:

Post a Comment


How did it work out? I've had my fingers crossed for you guys just 'bout all day.

By Blogger Jen, at 8:55 PM  

I'm dying to know how it worked out too!

By Blogger Glenna, at 10:38 AM  

I would love to know how it worked out for you. This is the type of thing that happens to me all the time. Conforting to know I am not alone.

By Blogger Debra, at 4:41 AM  

I want to know how it came out also...I have been checking and checking..I am wondering if you are able to type?????

By Blogger Bernie, at 5:34 AM  

As you now know, I survived the day. Whew. Glad that's over.

I am SO excited to see some new names of people posting on this blog. You are in the monthly drawing! Good luck!!!!

By Blogger CarysWeldonblog, at 8:32 AM  

Post a Comment