Carys Weldon Blog

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Current and past contests & Pub. Clearing House

Currently, I am collecting names (starting at January 2nd) for my next drawing which will be held on Valentine's Day. Again, I will give a gift certificate for the online place of your choice. (Makes it easy for me to send and you to spend.) So, all you have to do to be eligible is to post to this blog. For every comment you post, your name goes into the drawing. So, post away. The more you post, the better your chance of winning.

I've just sent Sue A. and Brenda Z. their gift certificates from the holiday drawings. I'm still waiting for Debby and Cynthya to email me with their full names and email addresses, and choice of card outlet (amazon, B&N, Paypal, one of my publishers?) so I can send their gift cards. Email to: jennifer248@centurytel.net I don't think any of my Carys@carysweldon.com mail is coming through.

My question or comment for today is...do you win very many prizes? Do you enter very many contests?

I entered the publisher's clearing house contest recently and for some silly reason, felt very confident in that...which seems beyond reason considering I've entered it off and on for my entire adult life and not won anything from them.

I received a big red envelope from them last week. Did you? Attached to the outside was another piece of paper that I had to detach and send back in with the vouchers and stuff, as usual. You know, all the items you COULD purchase if you want to, but don't have to to be entered in the contest.

What actually got my hopes up was the thing attached to the outside that had been hand printed with my name and the local tv stations, a florist in my area, and the name of a local hotel. There was a note saying to notify them all that there would definitely be a major prize winner in my area with my initials.

Have you ever seen one of those before?

I've seen the letters that come on the inside of the envelope that says YOU COULD BE THE WINNER if YOU SEND THE WINNING NUMBER IN...and there is obviously no guarantee that your winner IS the winning number. In fact, there was a letter like that inside my envelope.

I just have never received a hand written attachment saying to notify my local tv stations and closest florist and motel that there would be a major prize winner in my area.

It impressed me that they had hired someone to hand print those things personal to my area. I mean, it made it feel like there was much more hope in winning. Right?

Well, my daughter Casandra who lives in Mesquite, Nevada, said she got the same type of envelope with the hand written local stations, etc. So, that poked holes in my dreams.

Do you think they have a computerized printer that pulls those names from a database and prints them in a way that looks hand written, or do they hire people to actually hand write them? Or are we lucky types, living clear across the country from each other, who are actually in the finalist part of the drawing?

Are you giggling at how silly I am to hope? Did you send your PCH entry in? Did you get a similar deal?

I contacted one of the local tv stations via email on their website, and felt very silly. The drawing is Feb. 26th, 2009. I'll have to see if I can muster what it takes to contact the other businesses listed on that envelope. I have to wait until I'm in another silly mood, I think.

For 2009, I'm wishing and hoping for all my friends, family, and ME to receive all things positive, including positive cash flow. So, as silly as it is, I'm hoping my daughter, all of you, and I ARE winners of major prizes in the PCH.

Short of that, you have a shot at winning a gift certificate from MY drawings. Go ahead, laugh with me, or at me. Tell me what you think of drawings and other contests.

I had a friend back in Nevada who won major prizes all the time. She said she worked the law of averages. If it said send in a 3x5 card with your info, and there were no limit to entries, she literally would send in a thousand. NO KIDDING. Every week, she won something else...like a JEEP. She subscribed to all the contest newsletters and showed us her system for making the 3x5 cards, etc.

I had 5 little kids at the time and couldn't fathom taking the time to do it, although I admired her for persistence and effort. Now, I think about all the time I waste and have wasted over the years, and think...I could've been a contender! (Yeah, I sound like Rocky in my head. LOL)

Anyhow, good luck TO YOU.

Labels: , , , ,


Posted by CarysWeldonblog :: 8:22 AM :: 5 Comments:

Post a Comment

5 Comments:

Carys thanks again for the GC I found in my INBOX! You’re awesome!

I'm short on time so I will come back to answer today's post later.

By Blogger Sue A., at 7:41 PM  

HI,
I lost my favorite Aunt this past Friday. We had vistitation Monday and the funeral on Tuesday.. She and Uncle Ed were the very best. They took in people in their house.When they didn't have anyone else who wanted to care for them with their handicapped areas. They were the first people to be there with money or whatever was needed when a crises happened. She will be missed. Aunt Lois was 78 and had gangreen from toes to her head so her passing over was a blessing.
I kind of felt bad, I had a lot of fun with my cousins the past few days. I hadn't seen some in over 10 years. Some of us are going to make sure that doesn't happen again.
I am so sorry about CJ Winters.. I really enjoyed her stories in Deadknots. It was a very good book.

I went to WW on Monday on the way to the visitation and I lost 1/4 of a pound. Which is pretty good. I had several meals out and I don't like to eat "diet Food" out. I want to enjoy the food. Which I also in yesterday. The food after the funeral was cooked by the church ladies.. And they know how to cook. Homemade rolls, pecan pie, and real fried chicken.. Enough about food. I have lost 12 pounds now.
You were talking about winning prises. We would have a drawing every month at UPS if we didn't have any accidents. I would win about every other month.. I finally said it wasn't fair and won't take the prize. They finally changed the rules once you won your name was removed until every one won a prize. I got the same Publishers Clearing house you got and I got two new letters today. I am ready to help a lady on her computer and then get ready for the Cold, cold weather.Later

By Blogger Brenda, at 10:54 AM  

I forgot, I got my Amazon Gift card. Thanks!!!

By Blogger Brenda, at 12:56 PM  

Hi Carys,
The thing about contests is when you win a few things it becomes addictive. The problem now is that there are way more people entering contests, what with the internet and everybody being connected. I got my first real taste for it at a computer conference when I won $3000 worth of software. And since then I moved on to contests on the internet and I've won a lot of small things and some bigger prizes, but nothing as big as a car.

By Blogger Sue A., at 12:09 AM  

I'm sorry about your aunt, Brenda, but if she had gangrene so bad, I'm sure it was a relief for her to go where the physical pain would be lifted from her. *hugs* on that.

I'm glad Brenda and Sue both received their gift certificates. I am waiting for Debbie and Cynthya to send me email addresses. If you girls read this, and have, please resend, or post here so I know I need to fish harder through my spam filters. I feel awful when I don't get the prizes to the winners. Somebody help me! If you know these women, tell them to call me. Unfortunately, my phone number is all over the internet. But I don't answer blocked calls. I need to see the name.

Sometimes my 17 year old son deletes my phone numbers before I return a call. So, if any of you have called and didn't receive a return, that is why. Although, I don't encourage folks to call. I turn the ringer off when I'm working or if any of my children are visiting me. But I honestly don't ignore calls purposely.

Does anyone else have trouble with that sort of thing? My husband used to sometimes delete things, saying he didn't know who it was, so we obviously didn't need to talk to them, probably someone selling something.

Anyhow, love to you friends. Enjoy those gift certificates! It makes me feel good to know you received them.

By Blogger CarysWeldonblog, at 9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------