Carys Weldon Blog

Saturday, January 03, 2009

Crazy in India?

NOTE ABOUT CURRENT CONTEST:
Valentine's Day drawing of blog posters from now to Feb. 14th--so, if you read this, make a comment. I don't care if it's intelligent or jibber jabber. Just let me know you tuned in. Every comment from here to there will get your name entered in the drawing again. So, your chances increase with every post you make!
***

I'm surfing ebay, as always, between writing, checking email (the neverending nightmare these days) and whatever else--watching killing on my xbox360.

I found some "Nature Diamond Rings"...nature meaning mined as opposed to lab created. Of course, for those who are fluent in English, mined, genuine, and real, or certified or appraised will pull up SOME diamonds.

Nowadays, it's hard to tell them apart, even with a loop. Not that I go that far, personally. But, I have a good eye in person, to see the inclusions, etc.

I like to know I'm buying real or lab created. I bought some briolite diamond jewelry for my 4 daughters for Christmas. They came with appraisal certificates of authenticity. I couldn't find any of the institutes where the certificates were supposedly issued from, so that's probably all a hoax, but hell, it helps for insurance purposes.

Supposedly, they are so "real" that even jewelers have trouble telling them from the real thing, so they have to be set in silver instead of white gold. But what do I know? They look better than all the other simulated diamonds I've seen.

Anyhow, as I was surfing, and realized a lot of the diamonds from China are listed as Nature or Noblest. So, tip to ya if you're looking for a nice ring at a cheap price. I saw two rings, identical. Emailed the sellers. One says it is lab created, and plated gold. The other swears his is all solid and real mined. I guess it doesn't matter. My girls don't care. I prefer the real thing myself. Not into cocktail rings unless the stones are real.

I know everyone who has a choice would probably go for the real diamond. But, honestly, would you wear a lab created stone and be proud of it? Would you lie and say it is real? I ask because I'm thinking of giving away some diamond (and maybe emerald, ruby, garnet, sapphire, etc) rings this year, but they'll be bought on ebay and so...sketchy in origin and actual value. Would you like to win one of those?

A lady at my church said she had a guy offer her to buy her a diamond engagement ring for Christmas and she passed in favor of something else she could be sure wasn't bought in a bloody mine. Do you pay attention to that sort of thing? I had to stop and go look to see WHERE the bad mines are. I mean DiCaprio's film BLOOD DIAMOND got my attention. But damn, I'm a Monroe fan. I believe, in lieu of good friends, she and Ava Gabor are right, Diamonds are good friends.

I know a lot of girls have comforted themselves by staring at, or hocking, rings that cheesey assed cheatin' boyfriends/hubbies have sprung for. Wasn't that what Kobe's girl did with that rock the size of Texas?

Personally, I'd rather have a faithful man. But what the hell. We get by.

Anyhow, trying to keep these posts shorter than the books and diatribes of last year. So, I'll wrap this up. Bottom line on the diamond buying...if ebay doesn't babysit me with a USD conversion chart, I'm in trouble. How many USD is 16,000 RS? Those are rupies, right? So, probably around $322 USD.

While looking that up, I came across a crazy intense blog that I thought you might enjoy checking out. This guy from Australia is doing the hostel and motor bike across India thing. He's very good at imagery, so you can get a real feel for what he's seeing...and smelling.

Check it out here: http://www.bootsnall.com/articles/04-11/indian-dreaming-india.html
Cahona cheers for the man who is taking on India all by his lonesome. While the adventure SOUNDS cool on some levels, I gotta admit, I'm a little girl about stuff like that. I like my big Italian squinting down anybody that THINKS they're gonna take advantage of me.

For the same reason, I don't go through Texas alone. That place is like a country unto itself. (But I digress. I'll tell ya about Texas another day.) Adventures R US.

So, back to the India deal. Would you cough up a rupee for someone saying hello to you in a pleasant way? Would you do it just so the guy wouldn't rob you?

I dunno how you'd be able to afford to do that. I mean, that could add up fast, even if rupees are like only a percentage of a penny.

I figure it's like war. I do NOT know how a soldier can carry enough bullets. I do not know how a tank can carry enough bullets or mortars or whatever it uses in those big guns.

As fat as I am, I think I'd say...nah, keep the food, I'll pack more ammo where that would have gone.

It would be nice if the world were at peace, but it isn't. But I say, let's all send up a prayer (or meditation, or whatever YOU do) for world peace...we'll do one for curing cancer on another day. K?

***
Note to holiday contest winners: Brenda, Sue A., Debby, Cynthya...I'll send the GC's when all of you have told me in email where you want yours from. It's the only way I can keep straight on who I've sent them to. I swear, I'll do it asap. Waiting gives you the great joy of anticipation, right?
***
Damn, this isn't a very short post.
Tomorrow, I'll try again to be less wordy. It's a hard habit to break for a writer, I guess. Sorry!

Posted by CarysWeldonblog :: 8:18 AM :: 7 Comments:

Post a Comment

7 Comments:

Greetings from the embattled state of Illinois:
Started this once and accidentally deleted the whole thing so I figured it was a sign I wasn't writing anything of importance..maybe still aren't. But it's my duty for ladies everywhere to stand up for diamonds and other manmade gems. I like it all. Of course I love the real stuff, but what I like and what I buy are definitely not on the same page. In fact, I can't tell which earrings are the real ones. Good grief!
You mentioned India and their monetary system..after hearing about India from my daughter and son-in-law I know it won't be on my "go to" list...ever. Way too many masses of people, things to ride on, snakes in lidded baskets..you get the picture. The biggest one was the violence between India and Pakistan. Mushareff was having governmental problems when they were there and 30-40 people died very close to them. Enough on India.
I've been reading with interest the blogs and almost commented on the political one but was afraid I wouldln't be able to stop. I think I'll take a break from the 24 hr news and focus on pleasant things. Realistic? No but at least I'm not getting ready to shoot the t.v. if I see another missile in the air or threats of violence. I guess Miss Scarlett and I will have to think about it tomorrow.
Glad you are back writing to us again. Brenda and I missed you. we'll see if I can post this..been having trouble lately. May need buddy Brenda to help me once again. From Kay, the computer challenged Illini farm wife.

By Blogger Unknown, at 7:25 PM  

I spend time with David yesterday. I have been watching the grandchildren and working on computers so I hadn’t spend any time with him. I went on a computer job in the morning and spent the afternoon and evening with him. Watched Eagle Eye, it was pretty good it reminded me of War Games.

I don’t like to spend a lot of money on gems.. So I go for the fake. I do have some real ones but I still like the fake. I am not careful with my jewelry like Kay.
I don’t think I would like India. The snake thing would get me. I would like to see some of the sites, maybe in another life.
It is funny David watches the MANSWERS, I was reading a book and looked up they were decided what swim suit was legal or not legal..Anyway then I also watched about the passing gas could save the life of a friend or person.. I guess we should eat a lot of beans so we can be ready at all times.…That is really sick isn’t it???

By Blogger Brenda, at 10:18 AM  

With regards to the long posts, at least you have something meaningful to post. I wouldn't know what to write about on a daily basis.

P.S. I already sent you an e-mail with my choice and I know you also offered Paypal/Ebay, but I'll stick with the original choice so I hope you're not waiting for another e-mail from me.

On an earlier post I somehow sent a duplicate post which I've deleted since.

By Blogger Sue A., at 10:14 PM  

I got this in an email and liked it. Sorry it is so long..

1) Take a 10-30 minute walk every day. And while you walk: smile. It
Is the ultimate antidepressant.

2.) Sit in silence for at least 10 minutes each day. Buy a lock if
You have to.

3.) Always pray and make time to exercise.

4.) Spend more time with people over the age of 70 And under the age
Of Six.

5.) Eat more foods that grow on trees and plants And eat less foods
That are manufactured in Plants.

6.) Drink green tea and plenty of water. Eat broccoli, almonds &
Walnuts.

7.) Try to make at least three people smile each day.

8.) Clear your clutter from your house, car, desk and let new and
Flowing energy into your life.

9.) Don't waste your precious energy on gossip, issues of the past,
Negative thoughts or things you cannot control.
Instead, Invest your energy in the positive present moment.

10.) Realize that life is a school and you are here To learn.
Problems are simply part of the curriculum that appear and fade away
like algebra class .......but the lessons you learn will last a lifetime.

11.) Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a layman And dinner like a
Beggar .

12.) Life isn't fair - but it's still good.

13.) Life is too short to waste time hating anyone.

14.) Don't take yourself so seriously. (No one else does.)

15.) You don't have to win every argument: Agree to disagree.

16.) Make peace with your past so it won't screw up the present.

17.) Don't compare your life to others. You have no Idea what their
Journey is all about.

18.) Ladies - Go on and burn those 'special' scented Candles, use
The 600 thread count sheets, the good China and wear fancy clothes
Now. Stop waiting for a special occasion. Every day is special.

19.) No one is in charge of your happiness except YOU.

20.) Frame every so-called disaster with these words: 'In five
Years, will this matter?'

21.) Forgive everyone - for everything.

22.) What other people think of you is none of your business.

23.) Time heals almost everything. Give it time, time!

24.) However good or bad a situation is: it will change.

25) Your job won't take care of you when you are sick. Your friends
Will. Stay in touch with them.

26.) Get rid of anything that isn't useful, beautiful or joyful.

27.) Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need,
God provides, remember!

28.) The best is yet to come.


29.) No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.

30.) Do the right thing!

31.) Call your family often.

32.) Each night before you go to bed complete the Following
Statements:
A- 'I am thankful for __________.'
B - Today I accomplished _________.

33.) Remember that you are ʽtoo blessed to be stressedʼ.

34.) Enjoy the ride. Remember that this is not Disney World and you
Certainly don't want a fast pass. You only have one ride through
life
So make the most of it and enjoy the ride.

LIVE, LOVE, LAUGH.
LIFE'S A gift. that's why it's called the PRESENT .. UNWRAP
IT!
Have a Blessed day.

By Blogger Brenda, at 3:02 PM  

I lost 2.2 pounds this week at Weight Watchers.. So I have lost over 11 pounds now.. Not bad for the holiday season.. But I am going to lunch with a friend tommorow and Going to Becki's this weekend. I am trying to plan for the two days.. I am going to get on the bike today and earn some points there. Hope all is well.

Later

By Blogger Brenda, at 9:05 AM  

Carys, I hope everything is all right with you. You've been M.I.A. for a week and I know you wanted to post everyday! Take care!

By Blogger Sue A., at 6:31 AM  

Kay, your comment reminded me of one of the latest pics I saw about India. It was an old man in a long robe squatting to defecate in plain view in a town that wasn't very clean looking.

All I could think was...there were probably snakes in the small tufts of grass, and cracks in the buildings, but what was he going to wipe himself with? There were no leaves, or anything else that looked like it could be used for the task.

Shivering about that now. How icky would it be to live in a place where people crapped in squats all over the public areas and then didn't wipe or worse, used their hands? It was so primitive, I didn't see a spigot of water where he might have been able to rinse or scrub. Give me plumbing every day of the week, I say! And the privacy of a door, too!

By Blogger CarysWeldonblog, at 9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------