Carys Weldon Blog

Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Favorite books and authors and red heads...?

I have always been attracted to red headed women on books, and sometimes I really like the dark auburn on a rugged hero. But, I took a beginning to a romantic novel to one of my workshops and they voted the red hair down, hands down. I found it interesting, too, because I also searched out most popular names for years and found Jonathan and Patricia to be in the top ten almost continuously. So, I named these characters to suit the research...although I called the girl Tricia. Anyhow, the other writers didn't like the combo of names and hair color.

I love books set in the highlands, Ireland, Scotland, Old England, Wales, etc. I love tales like William Wallace (Brave Heart). One of my favorite covers of all time was a book called Devil in a Kilt. See it here: http://www.amazon.com/Devil-Kilt-Sue-Ellen-Welfonder/dp/0446610259

It made me a Sue Ellen Welfonder fan. If you're a fan of highlander tales, you might want to check out her whole back list on Amazon. Let me point you to one in particular, Bride of the Beast. If you read the Publisher's Weekly review, it says the lack of period detail will frustrate readers. I didn't find that to be true. I did suffer from a few other things. The hero's name is Marmaduke, and he's scarred terribly. I preferred to put those thoughts out of mind while reading the tale. I was particularly skewered and drawn again and again to a certain passage where he gives the heroine oral favors. I thought the scene remarkable in the way it was worded, and thought you might be intrigued enough to seek out a copy and report your thoughts on it.

What do you love? Any books that you can totally recommend? Also in the back of my memory is a book with a heroine Philippa/Pippa. An Amazon search pulled up a bevy of books that might be pleasing to my reading palate, both with characters named Philippa/Pippa, or written by someone of the same moniker.

Interesting how things happen to pull you into another writer's snare. Don't you think?

What is your preferred description of a hero, and a heroine?

Labels: , , , , , , ,


Posted by CarysWeldonblog :: 10:38 AM :: 2 Comments:

Post a Comment

2 Comments:

HI,
I have read the books you mention, I like them a lot.. I love Braveheart, It is one of my all time movies. I also like the Highland, scotland and Old England settings.
About red hair, at one time my daughter and I both had red hair. But thru the years it got darker and darker and My is only red if I color it.. David loves red hair, most of his favorite actresses are red headed.. I remember hating the freckles which came with red hair and being call Woody Woodpecker as a child. Bertrice Small had a book which had a Philippa. The bride by Julie Garwood and Amazing Grace also by her are two of my all time favorite books and and both are set in the highlands.. Both are funny. The bride wore a black dress to her wedding, Amazing Grace the lady was thanking God that her husband was dead.
I love a strong hero and strong heroine and love the fighting between them..Things can't go smoothly all the time.

By Blogger Brenda, at 7:41 AM  

I HAVE read the book by Bertrice Small. I know she's one of your all time favorite authors. After meeting her last year, I think she is wonderful. SO gracious. It's obvious she cares about her readers.

I'm going to have to check out the Julie Garwood books. I can't get enough highlands, OR humor. Thanks for the suggestions.

By Blogger CarysWeldonblog, at 10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------