Carys Weldon Blog

Saturday, November 18, 2006

Book signings and Chicken

I had a book signing yesterday in Branson, in the Engler Block shopping center. It's a very cute place. Lots of cool gifts. (In case you ever go to Branson, put this place on your list of stops.) However, there were maybe 5-10 people that came through--in two whole hours! So, needless to say, I went and chatted with other authors. I was asked to speak to a Kimberling City writer's group, so it was not really a lost cause.

Then I went to dinner with a bunch of writers and over to Motel 8 to hang out and chat some more. I swear, I feel like a spring chicken. Most of them are not THAT old, but some of them were saying they had to go to bed at 7:30. I thought that was crazy. A couple of us hung out until almost ten. Still, that's early for a Friday night.

Today, I'm going to Plaster Auditorium, at the College of the Ozarks, for a book signing with the Ozarks Writer's League. Today is the debut of the Echoes of the Ozarks, VOL 2. I have a story in that, so, I'll probably be signing those throughout the day.

Usually we got to pompous restaurants but today, I think I am going to talk people into something simple, like KFC. Someone told me--this is funny--that KFC had to take the word "chicken" off all their menus and advertising because they no long use real chicken. (This is not true by the way.) They went into great detail that KFC was using genetically altered chickens with no heads or legs that were basically lumps that never moved--fed by tubes.

It was silly but duped dope that I was, I got sucked in. They kept the story up long enough until I said, "Wow. I had never heard about that." But I watched a KFC commercial and saw that they do, indeed, still use the word chicken.

Which goes to show...doesn't matter how stupid the hoax is...if they keep it up long enough, or present it right, even smart folks will fall for it.

You can look up a lot hoaxes at htttp://www.snopes.com/

I mention this because I've had more hoaxes come through my inbox lately than I can count. Thought you might like to check the spot out. Anyhow, gotta run. I WILL be late (again).

Posted by CarysWeldonblog :: 6:02 AM :: 3 Comments:

Post a Comment

3 Comments:

Man! If we could've put off going back to Sullivan to get Granny until this weekend, I coulda stopped by to see you! *s* Seriously. We saw the sign for College of the Ozarks on I-44. And a couple weeks ago, we stayed the night in Branson.

Buena suerte, bonne chance, good luck, and all that jazz. :)

By Blogger Unknown, at 8:23 AM  

Tam, what area are you in? Maybe I'll make a point of having a book signing in your area? And anybody else that wants to list their area, go ahead. Maybe I'll do a concentrated tour.


Jen...you should have made time for me! I would have come to where you are. NEXT TIME, we'll do that.


And ANYBODY WHO GOES TO SPRINGFIELD OR BRANSON MISSOURI--let me know and I'll come to you. We'll have sodas or lunch or something together, and chat. K?

By Blogger CarysWeldonblog, at 9:02 AM  

You were in or on your way home from Nevada.

By Blogger Unknown, at 9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------