Carys Weldon Blog

Friday, March 13, 2009

Crying over a movie, losing weight, and other crap

This morning, I watched Reign Over Me, the Adam Sandler movie about a man who lost his wife and three daughters on 9/11. Have you seen it?

It's not an action movie, or a romance. And knowing just the little bit I've mentioned about the plotline, I had to wait until I was in the mood to watch it.

It's not a fast paced flick, and I think a lot of people would turn it off. I stuck with it, though, and found it to be a serious tear jerker at the end...in a good way. It was sooo sweet, the way the man missed and loved his family.

I've been having trouble focusing on working/writing. I figure reading or watching a movie is, at the very least, helping me to think about other stories and characters and how things are plotted. Hopefully, I can incorporate some of those things into my future writings.

I moved on from the movie, and multi-tasking with laundry and ebay and other stuff, to watch that damned You Are What You Eat. I don't like that show. The nutritionist annoys the hell out of me. She's rude and insulting to the overweight people she helps. She knows her stuff, though, because they all lose weight. But some of the stuff she suggests they eat just make me ill. Bean curd tea for breakfast? Who the hell wants to eat that? Or, er, drink it?

Does anybody that reads this blog actually consume bean curd puree or soup or tea or whatever for breakfast or any other meal?

The narrator on the show says, "Here's a whopper of a shopper she's about to confront. She's wearing an enormous size..." It gets worse from there. I think he said something next about her "craving for grazing" and "the girl's extra weight is the equivalent of carrying a bridesmaid up the aisle."

The host asks, "Has it come into your head just how big you really are?"

I'm here to say to the entire world...I don't know one overweight person who wouldn't be thin, if they knew how to make it happen. No one wants to be obese.

Of course, I took offense for every overweight person in the world. Talking to fat people like that, or about them, isn't acceptable. Considering more of the world IS overweight, I wonder why we allow that BS. Do you think it's because we're being attacked and so we don't

And the host waltz's into the bridal shop where the girl is trying to find a wedding dress and makes the insult, "You know, you're the widest bride I've ever seen." Then she goes on to say the girl doesn't deserve to have a body.

It just breaks my heart. Why is it okay for people to be rude to the overweight?

I learned something. The host says our poo should NOT smell, and should look like big fat sausage. I figured you would want a second opinion on that, so I went surfing the internet for websites on poo, and found a site that is quite adamant about it being "the original" and that you should not go elsewhere for info on defecation.

If you're remarkably bored, but oddly fascinated enough to go and see this site, you can find it here: http://www.heptune.com/poop.html

It even has a link to the poop photo gallery. I just gotta say, Geez, what is this world coming to?

Worse, if you read down the page, the author adresses the concept of eating poo. Yeah. I'm scarred at the thought.

I followed a few other sites and was annoyed that one author suggested that autistics often eat their feces. There's even a name for eating it. (Yeah. I'm about to throw up just thinking about it.)

So, why talk about it here?

Because...I've had IBS symptoms for nearly 18 years. The one thing I've learned is that an increasing number of people DO have IBS or Crohn's or some other digestive problem.

I've tried all sorts of things to cure myself. I've eaten rice for months, almost exclusively. That helps, believe it or not. And it generally reduces the painful spasms that often accompany bowel issues.

I've also tried a variety of vitamins and digestive enzymes. I tried those after I realized I wasn't losing weight with the rice diet.

The enzymes help the situation, but aren't as good as the rice at keeping things flowing smoothly, regularly.

I've tried everything from fiber pills to fiber in beverages to...well, just about everythiing anyone, including a ton of doctors and pharmacists, have suggested. I still have those "gotta go NOW" moments.

I know, many people will say "too much info!" But, honestly, the longer I suffer with this problem, the more I realize I am not alone, and the majority of people I know have some sort of digestion issues. So, it's a topic to tackle, and revisit whenever we get some news that might help someone.

So, now's your turn. What do you know about this? Can you make any helpful suggestions?

Labels: , , , , ,


Posted by CarysWeldonblog :: 9:21 AM :: 2 Comments:

Post a Comment

2 Comments:

Hi,
I can't eat a lot of greasy foods or I have problems.. Our two grandchildren had big problems but now It is only once in a while. I am so glad.. I'm glad I don't have the problems like you and a lot of other people have.
We spend the day with my mother in law... What was only going to a couple of hours turned into a all day affair.. I am tired..
We had all of the grandchildren and Becki this weekend so later I am really tired..

By Blogger Brenda, at 8:12 PM  

A mother in law, alone, would be taxing. Power to you for making it through the day!

By Blogger CarysWeldonblog, at 9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------