Carys Weldon Blog

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Accident girl does good

Cheyenne (my youngest daughter, the one that was in the back breaking accident last year)played her first basketball game of the season last night. She made nine points. Five free throws and two regular baskets--which was amazing for the time she spent on the court. She only played a minute in the first quarter, the last half of the second, and then a minute in the third, and the whole fourth quarter.

When she was on the court, the runaway score stopped running away. Our point gap decreased. When the game was over, the coach told her, "I can't believe you played like that--considering your injury." Which tells us that he wasn't playing her because he didn't think she was up to it.

She was not, by any means, the star of the game. Two other girls made thirteen points each. But, when you count time on the court--those girls were never off the court--Cheyenne did better per second of playing.

Even though she is one of only two seniors on the team, she wouldn't have played, I think, if the team hadn't been cursed with the flu. Three "star" members were out. One, literally, puked in the bucket/trash can just minutes before the game. I was, of course, thrilled that pukey girl sat by my daughter on the bench the whole time...because it would be about par for the course for my whole family to end up with the 24 hr flu over Thanksgiving. Not that I'm a pessimist or paranoid, but...I know how my luck runs. We'll see about that. Maybe we'll get lucky and avoid that.

In other news, we are collecting gifts for handout at Senior Grad Night--so anything you wanna donate is welcome. (Not really expecting you to send things, but, hey, if you have an urge! LOL) I am looking for great fund raisers, so if you have any suggestions on that, I'd love to hear them.

I hate the nickel and dimers. You know the ones...where the stuff in the catalog is from the dollar store, but you pay $12 bucks so the kids can make $5. I'd rather shop at the dollar store and pass my kid the $5 every time. Or the whole difference, leaving that middle man out.

And last, but not least, today I plan to write. I wrote poetry the last two days. Mocked a few famous guys: Hemingway, Thoreau, and somebody else that I cannot recall at the moment. Wrote about a portuguese poet named Fernando Pessoa. I dunno why. Who can figure out how my brain works?

Today, though, I fully intend to write about something sexy. It has been too long since I put on my Carys Weldon type-til-you-drop mode. I have editors and agents growling at me for not writing anything for them. And worse--one not muttering a word about it...which means she may be giving up on seeing anything from me. And I can't disappoint her, of all people, because she's my favorite. So, I have to get busy.

Cha!

Posted by CarysWeldonblog :: 5:44 AM :: 2 Comments:

Post a Comment

2 Comments:

What kind of gifts are you collecting?

By Blogger ikkinlala, at 11:41 PM  

We'll take anything anyone wants to donate. Things that teens would like will be stored until Grad night, and anything that can be raffled for greater money income, will be.

Taking all suggestions on fund raisers, and donations, of course.

By Blogger CarysWeldonblog, at 11:41 PM  

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------