Carys Weldon Blog

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Sunday AGAIN? (Not about religion or church)

Geez. The weeks race through and I'm left with another Sunday. (Not gonna talk about religion or church today. So, no worries on that.)

Here's what a freak I am: I'm frying hamburgers for my breakfast. And hamburger for hamburger gravy and biscuits for the rest of my family. I have never been a fan of that but my husband and kids love it.

I used to like SOS, chipped beef gravy over bread, and I still like sausage gravy over bread or biscuits, and I'm okay with bacon gravy over biscuits--but my husband only likes sausage or hamburger gravy like that.

Oh well.

Plain hamburgers are on the Atkins diet. I am already looking ahead toward the holiday and I need your votes to help me decide something.

Should I go ahead and enjoy a full Thanksgiving meal, including sweet potatoes and mashed potatoes and gravy, rolls, stuffing, and pie--or stick to my damn diet? The night before, which is Wednesday, I will have been on the diet for two weeks.

Or, should I just eat turkey that day and call it good?
LOL You can probably guess that I want validation that it is okay to enjoy the holiday...but I know most of you have gone up and down on diets, too, and probably suffered the same sort of decision in the past.

I have done Atkins a lot in the past, and used to say, "I can splurge off the diet when I win an award (one piece of dessert in celebration)...or at a writer's conference, book signing (because those usually involve a meal out with other writers) or holiday/birthdays (and I have five kids and four siblings, remember), I can eat a regular meal and dessert."

But then, as you know, that just spurred me to apply myself to winning more awards and going to more conferences, and making sure I was at more family celebrations of birthdays. LOL.

It seemed that I was rewarding myself all too often. I mean, geez...break it down. I have over 100 awards in the last 3-4 years. I was on the road 17 weeks last year with writing related events, book signings and conferences. That works out to quite a few "off the diet" desserts.

Anyhow, gimme your vote. Should an obese woman (or any woman) feel guilty if she takes off of her diet for Thanksgiving?

Posted by CarysWeldonblog :: 8:36 AM :: 4 Comments:

Post a Comment

4 Comments:

I certainly don't think it's a problem to indulge occasionally. And holidays count as those occasions in my book. :)

I've been on a sort-of diet. I've lost some weight. (I don't know exactly how much.) I'm also diabetic. But I'm going to splurge a little bit on Thanksgiving. And by "splurge," I actually mean we're going to make a pumpkin pie and a cheesecake using Splenda. :)

My vote: Go for it, but don't stay off the wagon very long. Been there done that too often.

By Blogger Unknown, at 9:30 AM  

IMO I would have a tradional Thanksgiving dinner. Just eat modest protions. You can splurge but not go overboard.
So that way you can enjoy the holiday but not feel too guilty

By Blogger Pamk, at 11:35 AM  

Nobody should feel guilty for taking time off a diet they chose to follow. Unless it's going to present a serious health risk (like, say, breaking a peanut-free diet if you're allergic to peanuts) I think it's fine to take a break every so often.

By Blogger ikkinlala, at 2:35 PM  

Did I say I LOVE YOU PEOPLE? (I do!)

By Blogger CarysWeldonblog, at 11:42 PM  

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------