Carys Weldon Blog

Thursday, November 23, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving!

Sorry about not posting yesterday. I thought I had. Today, I tried to log in and found I couldn't, so I had to delete blogger cookies and restart and...well...blek.

Today, I am grateful that my family will be together--all but one of my five kids will be with me for the day--and my second and third daughter have been busily preparing the meal without my help. I think I have to make a green bean casserole (that mushroom soup and fried onion thing? I don't eat it but those two girls do--it's the least I can do.)

Because my new son in law is a serious diabetic, we are doing everything sweet with splenda this year. I'm not sure what I think of that, but hey...if it doesn't taste quite right, that'll help me stay closer to my diet, eh?

I'm of the thinkign that if you're going to drink soda, drink the real thing, if you're gonna eat ice cream, go the whole hog. But what do I know? I'm the size of a barn. Or a small shed, at the very least.

I'll feel guilty all day for eating good stuff, but my mouth is already watering for sweet potatoes and stuffing and pie (and turkey of course, but that's not off my diet.)

Tell me how your holiday goes, k? What is your favorite pie? Do you have any traditions for this holiday?

My husband and I like to make sure we celebrate every holiday with...you know what...bed boogie. But we're getting old. I always wonder...will we do it on THIS holiday? (Yeah, I'm hoping he reads this and says, "Hey, hon, let's slip into the bedroom before...midnight or something.")

In any case, no matter how you celebrate the day, I hope you have a great one!

Posted by CarysWeldonblog :: 6:47 AM :: 4 Comments:

Post a Comment

4 Comments:

IME, sweets with Splenda don't taste any different from those with regular sugar. We've been doing that for about 3 or 4 years now, thanks to me. :s I'd be willing to bet you won't taste a difference.

Happy Thanksgiving! Now I've gotta get back to cleaning before everyone gets here.

By Blogger Unknown, at 7:48 AM  

I can taste Splenda a mile away. Ick.

But, it also makes me extremely ill, so it could be why I don't like it.

I've always believed sugar was more healthy than substitutes so I don't let my kids use them. Moderation is the key, I believe.

Diabetes is a different monster. We have several coming here today with it and it just occured to me that I didn't make anything or have anyone bring anything for them. I must go remedy.

By Blogger Rinda Elliott, at 8:12 AM  

Thanksgiving was last month for me, and is not nearly as big a deal here as it seems to be in the US. I wasn't able to be with my family (a three day weekend is not enough time when it involves a 12 hour bus trip each way), so I made myself pumpkin pie and cranberry sauce (with real sugar) and spent the weekend trying to catch up on homework and sleep.

By Blogger ikkinlala, at 11:47 PM  

Okay. I just gotta say...sweet potatoes with splenda brown sugar just didn't work for me. Ditto on the lemon meringue pie with it.

I say...it probably kept me from eating more. A few bites sufficed.

But I use splenda in some things. (Atkins desserts, that or stevia.)

Anyhow, I really vote for real white sugar. But that is not on the atkins diet and I'm sure it is responsible, at least in part, for me being so large at this time...so, I'll do without.

Today, I ate bacon, deviled eggs, and some chicken dipped in cream and rolled in parmesan, fried in olive oil. That, too, was very, very good.

By Blogger CarysWeldonblog, at 11:39 PM  

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------